Mani/Pedi

Today (ok...it got late...so really, it was yesterday) is hoof trimming day here on the farm.  Now, I am still a newbie when it comes to this farm stuff, but I have grown accustom to the familiar sound of the high pitched whine of the grinding tool.....I know exactly what that means.....yup.....the hoof trimmer is in da house!

He shows up around 5am...rain or shine....sleet, snow or hail....he's very similar to the mail man.....but not really, not at all.   I thought today was as good a day as any to annoy the heck out of the hoof trimmer.....The Dairy Farmer says I don't talk enough about farming and this is a really big part of our cow health, so I grabbed my camera and this roving reporter set out to learn the ropes. 

So....here is what I learned today:


These are cows.......that's the first thing they taught me in Cow 101...you all with me?  Ok...good......moooving on (get it "moo"ving on....see what I did there...cow/moo...hello? You guys? Where did you go?)



Oh good, you came back.  I have lots of knowledge to drop so try to stay with me.   I learned that three times a month, the hoof trimmer shows up on the farm.  Our herdsmen have determined who is in need of mani's and pedi's and they get them into the barn where they will patiently wait their turn.   There's always one....always a wise guy....some who just HAS to be different....see her there....everyone else has their head where it belongs, but no, not her......

I learned that The Dairy Farmer likes to make sure that our dry cows (remember that term from a previous post?  Dry cows are not currently in the milking herd because they are busy growing a baby).  So before they deliver, it's good practice to trim their hooves and make sure that their feet are in good shape.  Amen, sister.  I always had a nice pedicure before I headed into the delivery room.  If my toes are going to be near my throat....they sure better be pretty....know what I mean moms?  Wait....was that too much?  Sorry.....back to farming.....


I found out that we usually have 45 cows for him to trim each time.  Sometimes more....sometimes less.  The herdsmen watch our herd very carefully and will make sure that if anyone is limping or sore, has abscesses or inter digital dermatitis (which is a fancy pants name for...warts)  they are signed up for a trim and we also try to make sure that everyone gets at least a trim once or twice a year.  So, with 650 cows.....you can imagine that the hoof trimmer stays pretty busy. 


I followed a couple of the girls as they came down the alley way from their stall.  One at a time, they walk into the chute, which is actually a hoof trimming table. 

This is their view

Once they are in the chute, straps go under their belly to hold them steady while the table actually reclines them.   That way, the hoof trimmer can do his work without being bent over all day long.   And the cows aren't having to support their weight on three legs.  

 We have horses as well, and when the hoof trimmer comes for them, he has to do each foot one at a time, holding it between his knees and completely bent over.   Now, our horses are rude and decide that if he's going to do their feet, they are going to rest on him while he does.  I couldn't imagine doing 45 cows a day like that!



Here's one starting to "tip" on her side.  Now, I am not sure they are in  "love" with this idea.  It's not the most natural thing for their feet to leave the ground, but once they are on their side, they settle in and wait it out.   

I learned that it usually takes about 5-6 minutes per cow.  If they have some issues, it can be as long as 15 minutes.  The goal is to do as much as he can quickly, put her back on her feet and send her on her way.   The less stress on them the better.   We've said before....we like our ladies laying down and chewing their cud.....signs of a happy cow. 




 This is a cow foot....another lesson from Cow 101.  They have 2 claws or toes and 2 dewclaws.   All claws are trimmed with an angle grinder with a hoof trimming attachment.  It's like a dremmel tool and shaves small pieces of hoof off until it is the right length.   Think Austin Powers ...when they thawed him out and had to sand his nasty toenail....oh gosh...I just threw up a little.   My sister just informed me that that scene is from Dumb and Dumber with Jim Carrey.  Either way.....gross.   Ok, I guess this is precisely why The Dairy Farmer says I don't talk enough about farming. 

 





Ok, so here is where I really learned something interesting.   This cow had an abscess in her claw.  Without being too detailed, it's basically a pocket of infection that is working it's way out through the hoof.    The hoof trimmer opened it up, drained it out and pulled out some high heels from his box of tricks.   It's a wooden block that is placed onto the good claw.

To all my vet tech friends- or any of you sickos who enjoy a good pus story......it was an old abscess, a little blood but no pus.  Even if it was full of pus, I wouldn't have taken a picture.....cuz that's just tacky and this is a family blog......I mean seriously. 

Of course it's tacky to talk about pus....but I will continue to make birth references until the cows come home- ba dum cha.....get it?   Another cow reference....I am schmokin' today!



Back on track.  He added some epoxy that will keep the block on the good hoof.  It elevates the "good" side and takes the pressure off the abscess side.....allowing it to heal quicker.  Dang, he's tricky. 




He then puts some topical antibiotic on the abscesses and wraps it up.  The wrap and block will stay on for 1-2 weeks and will eventually fall off or wear off.   I did learn that abscesses are more common in the summer because the cows stand more...trying to keep cool.   Interesting. 




Once she's done, she's lowered to her feet, the front of the chute opens and off she goes, back to work (see her pretty colored toes?) 


There you have it.  A quick lesson in foot care here at Brechland Farms.   I did learn one other thing.....our cows are rude.   Every one of them walked away without so much as a "thankyouverymuch" or a "goodbye" and not one of them gave him a tip. 

0 comments: