Sleeping Beauties

I was downloading pictures from Jr's camera the other day, and I found this.....







 He had just received it for Christmas and was anxious to take it to Grandma's house on Christmas day.  Here is the very first picture from his brand new camera....and I'm the one who took it.  As we were pulling out of the driveway, we looked to our right and saw that everyone was down for the count....this NEVER happens.  Usually, one remains on all four's to watch over the other ones.  It's usually Rocky, my 40 something buckskin. 

He has arthritis so bad, he doesn't usually lay down, because, it's hard on the old joints.   He doesn't have a Life Alert necklace.  He can't just push the button to tell me he's fallen and he can't get up. 

This day though, this beautiful PA Christmas Day was too much...the weather was perfect, the sun was a shining and he decided- if ya can't beat em, join em and they all took a nice nap.  

You would be surprised how many times people driving by stop to tell me my horse is dead.  I guess people just like to be the bearer of bad news, be the first to see me cry, be the first to break my heart.  At least a few times a year, some passerby stops to let me know.  Thanks....I appreciate it.  But, dude is like a Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.  He is 40...it will happen some day, but for future reference...horses do lay down.  They like to cat nap in the sun.....it doesn't always mean they are dead.   If he dies....you'll be the first to know.

0 comments: